Just talked to the guy from Trans Canada, the company that owns the
Harriman reservoir, a.k.a. Lake Wilmington. He gave me the name of the
secretary of the local sailing club and I called him. He was at home, on
a Tuesday at 9:00 AM. Sailors don't work, you know, and when it rains,
like today, they stay close to their phones. We chatted a bit, and he
asked me what boat I had, and he said that they had an agreement with
Trans Canada that they would not anchor any boat over 20 feet in that
cove. There is no other mooring place on that lake.
It is not supposed to rain today until 3:00 PM, said the weatherman. But it is pouring now.
Well, my contact was no longer active in the administration of the club, but he was nice enough to give me the name of the current secretary and I called him. He also answered the phone right away, which gives credence to my opinions about sailors. During our brief talk, he too asked me about the boat I had and he confirmed the sad news about the size restrictions.
What a bummer! The lake, so they consoled me, has two launching areas, both in the vicinity of Wilmington. And there is lake Champlain, too, you know! About two hours away.
I should have bought that 17 foot Lightning!
What this means, my beloved family, your first lesson in sailing will be in rigging a sail boat. There is much to learn. There are stays and shrouds and halyards and there are several of each and each has prepositions such as fore and aft and port and starboard jib and main sail and some of them are called sheets although they are ropes, or lines and there are spreaders and shackles and - and - and. Do your search on the Internet and then show me off and put me to shame because I don't know them all. I will point and shout things like "pull that one - no! not the green, the blue".
But when you come, you'll find the boat in the driveway and when we want to go for a cruise on the water we must haul it to the launching ramp, step the mast and slide the boat into the water. Reverse that activity before dinner.
I am quite shattered! I thought, whether you are here or not, on a nice afternoon with a freshening wind I go for a spin until moon-up and then come home and have a night snack of bread and butter and cheese and wine and let the glow of the sun slowly seep into the night breezes on the deck. What a bummer. Almost makes you want to forget all about sailing. The essentials- the 'I'm at His mercy' are missing
My alternative, of course, would be to go live on the boat and simply drop anchor somewhere along the shore when I don't want to sail anymore. But I think I would loose control over the grass up here on the mountain.
So there! Now you have all the sad news of the day.
Love, Isa
---------------------------------------------
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Discouraging, sad, but NOT TRAGIC! The restriction is for mooring not for sailing, so with extra hands, you'll have no problem unloading the trailer (thanks to Steve, we know how to back that baby down the ramp and slide 'er off), having someone help the raise the mast, brace the mainsail and keelhaul the naysayers!
Aaaargh! Drink up me hearties, YO HO!
iivo
It is not supposed to rain today until 3:00 PM, said the weatherman. But it is pouring now.
Well, my contact was no longer active in the administration of the club, but he was nice enough to give me the name of the current secretary and I called him. He also answered the phone right away, which gives credence to my opinions about sailors. During our brief talk, he too asked me about the boat I had and he confirmed the sad news about the size restrictions.
What a bummer! The lake, so they consoled me, has two launching areas, both in the vicinity of Wilmington. And there is lake Champlain, too, you know! About two hours away.
I should have bought that 17 foot Lightning!
What this means, my beloved family, your first lesson in sailing will be in rigging a sail boat. There is much to learn. There are stays and shrouds and halyards and there are several of each and each has prepositions such as fore and aft and port and starboard jib and main sail and some of them are called sheets although they are ropes, or lines and there are spreaders and shackles and - and - and. Do your search on the Internet and then show me off and put me to shame because I don't know them all. I will point and shout things like "pull that one - no! not the green, the blue".
But when you come, you'll find the boat in the driveway and when we want to go for a cruise on the water we must haul it to the launching ramp, step the mast and slide the boat into the water. Reverse that activity before dinner.
I am quite shattered! I thought, whether you are here or not, on a nice afternoon with a freshening wind I go for a spin until moon-up and then come home and have a night snack of bread and butter and cheese and wine and let the glow of the sun slowly seep into the night breezes on the deck. What a bummer. Almost makes you want to forget all about sailing. The essentials- the 'I'm at His mercy' are missing
My alternative, of course, would be to go live on the boat and simply drop anchor somewhere along the shore when I don't want to sail anymore. But I think I would loose control over the grass up here on the mountain.
So there! Now you have all the sad news of the day.
Love, Isa
---------------------------------------------
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Discouraging, sad, but NOT TRAGIC! The restriction is for mooring not for sailing, so with extra hands, you'll have no problem unloading the trailer (thanks to Steve, we know how to back that baby down the ramp and slide 'er off), having someone help the raise the mast, brace the mainsail and keelhaul the naysayers!
Aaaargh! Drink up me hearties, YO HO!
iivo
No comments:
Post a Comment