Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Good morning, dear one


I was sitting in front of my 'big Mac' when I heard the distinct bleep of a message coming in. I performed an increasingly frustrated search for the message center on the Mac. There is not any. Then, much, much later I realized that the iPhone was sitting on the night table across the room. So there it was: a 'good morning' from you. Thanks!

Next came the chore to produce an answer. I tried to do that on the iPhone, but those keys on the keyboard are so very small and editing the results of trying to type is so frustrating. So here I sit with the iPad. There was a time I believed in all that talk that computers will eventually simplify our lives. Then, much more recently I was sold on the idea that Mr. Jobs had an outstandingly good idea to develop a system by which all his gadgets are connected. And I bought into that - and look what it did to my simple life!

It used to be two or three pens and two or three pencils in the shirt pocket and little note papers strewn all over the place, sometimes stuck to the desk with Scotch tape so they would be safe from accidental loss. And the telephone actually worked! It either connected you with your targeted partner or it did not, but it told you if the line was busy or the target did simply not answer for whatever personal reasons. Those remained private. So, if the call did not go through, one simply tried later again.

Now, look at what we are getting - message centers answering all calls with long explanations of how important our call is to the recipient, etc, etc. and then an undetermined wait for the return call that is supposed to come right away.

But what am I griping about? I obviously have the time for all of that . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment