Friday, July 12, 2013

Travel Planning, Opa Style

For long distance I always guesstimate the total travel time on the basis of 50 mph overall average.

For instance, the distance from Riverbend to Parksiders is 194 miles. At 50 mph that will take a little less than four hours.  If I don't stop at McDonalds in Emporia, I can make it in about 3-1/4.

The longer the distance the more dependable it gets.

For you, depending which way you come up here, it'll be some 600 miles, so count on 12 hours. For me, it is close to 800 miles and it took me 14 hours, but that was time dedicated to nothing but getting it behind me. The more 70 mph unbusy highway, the better it gets.

Note, this 50 mph average allows for gas stops and eats and comfort stops and an occasional  10 minute shut-eye etc, but no bed-time or detours to visit a museum or watch a ball game in the ball park :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment