Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Musings on Modern Communication (Chatting with Laurie)

I tried using the e-mail password. Thanks, is appears it worked and I posted a little chat with Tiiu. However, while the blog 'let me in', a message appeared saying 'The password for blogger.com is different. Do you wish to reset it?' Of course I would, but there was no field to input any updated or other password, but the blog was open and ready to receive my wishes. So I just went on and posted that little thing I texted to Tiiu. If the atmosphere in Facebook were different, this would really be one piece of status. More expressive than most that one gets to see. But I guess this is not done in that environment. Sometimes I have the feeling that anything over ten words does not get any attention there. So I do not like Facebook as a real means of communication. With e-text it is the same feeling but there I simply rebel. E-text is a personal message addressed to one or several recipients who I think would be receiving on the same wavelength as the one on which the message is sent. Generally, a thought can be formulated in very few words. I can say "today it is really cold out there" and seven words have told you of my current view about the temperature out there. But it does not give you much color, does it? Why do I feel it is really (!) cold, and what is the 'out there' where I would presumably prefer to find warmer temperatures? The seven words might or might not make you curious. In the former case you would begin to speculate on possible expansions of the thought and probably fail, because you'd have no guide by which to direct your speculations. In the latter case you'd simply drop it because it was not able to stir your interest and by dropping it you take all the worth out of me having sent it in the first place. And so I rebel against the ways modern communication is used and the way it is shaped and the effect it has so very often to make itself so very superficial.
Perhaps out of these sentiments comes my satisfaction with just spending time with myself and spinning my thoughts out to myself.

1 comment:

  1. But if you spin them out here, all those of us who have subscribed ourselves to receive email notifications whenever you post will be able to grab a cup of tea and sit a spell with you, even if it is across the miles. I like it. And I find it interesting that the thoughts come freely when you find yourself in the shadow of the mountain, but not so much when you're south of the Mason-Dixon line. I won't pontificate too much on why I think that might be. I'll leave you to the self-analysis and quiet musing. You're better at expressing it than I am.
    I do not see a chat with Tiiu. Did you, in fact, post it? I thought it sounded like you thought that you had. Or dd you mean the chat with Kaarin?

    ReplyDelete