Friday, May 8, 2015

The Bluebird Story

5/8/15, 1:43 p.m.
Went to town for gas, came home and mowed the grass. Went for an inspection tour around the pond and through the woods. All is well. 
Around noon,  planted three bluebird nesting boxes at three fence posts near the deck. These are boxes Lulu and Bill built some thirty years ago. Lulu took them in somewhere around ten years ago. Now, just one and one half hour after putting them out again, there are already two 'interested parties' bustling about. I will get nothing done for the rest of the day. The show is too captivating. 


Update, 5/13/15, 7:12 a.m.
From the deck, the bluebird story looks like it came to an end before it really got started. They came and looked the houses over, much like Ema and I used to do: 'Oh, look, a new house! Let's go and see what it is like'. And never a thought to buy. 
They hang around and fly off after a while, they might sit on the house roofs and sing and meet and look at each other, but they don't seem to nest. They are here rather seldom. 
At least one website claims that boxes should be put out in this area in March, so I think our bluebirds up here already have settled in for the summer and will not move any more until they head south again. I give them a few more days and then I go and look inside the boxes. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment