See if you can catch this film from Netflix: The Dam Busters, released in 1955. It is a WW2 movie, but rather than perpetuating the thoughts of what happened more than 70 years ago, I would like to have my grandchildren see a wonderful example of applied engineering and physics. I saw this movie some fifty years ago and it is still part of my fondest reminders of what the application of our most basic sciences can do. What our schools do is teach the rules, but they fail to open the student's eyes to the practical application (OK, so hear is Pytagoras. So what? What can you do with it?). I still feel that, if we could teach our children the USE of what we expect them to learn, we would have an easier task to get them to study and remember.
I guess the difficulty I have in expressing my thoughts on this theme amply clarifies the problems our school systems have to apply the thoughts to teaching masses of teachers, and greater masses of students.
Other thought: I closed all windows and doors with the exception of a couple of windows 'cracked' up in the loft to let in at least some fresh air. The dripping nose has come to order! This 'fresh mountain air' is for the birds!
Good night to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment