Saturday, July 25, 2015

Yes, but . . .

When your mind is set free, it might make amazing turns in its flight. Coming from apparently nowhere, the word 'clausulated' popped up. I know the term from its use in the German language and I wanted to know if in English the meaning was the same. So I looked it up on the web. A seemingly endless list of authors was presented with quotes of sentences in which they used the word. The list ranges from Cicero to a modern day treatise on "the philosophy of macro economics". But there was no definition of the term to be found, such as perhaps the Wikipedia should, or could provide. But in the context, I found that the meaning in both languages is the same: yes, that appears to be so, but under a changed set of conditions, it might not be so.
There were many quotes drawn from Philosophical works. Is then the thinking of philosophers so beset by conditions (clauses) that most conclusions must be described as being 'clausulated'?
Once in a senior high class on chemistry, I answered the teacher's question with "if a certain amount of this salt is added to this liquid . . . And the teacher responded with "you say a 'certain' amount is added. If indeed it is certain, state the amount. Else do not declare it to be 'certain'". His certainly was a different way of thinking. In our common way of speaking, the word 'certain' very often means anything but 'certain'.

1 comment:

  1. I have never read the word that I know of, nor do I use it. Even now, I remain a little confused about its proper meaning or usage. Perhaps I should be reading more philosophers?

    ReplyDelete