Of course I expect that the subject I present here will turn all conversations in this same direction.
I was prompted to access this web page while reading a section of the memoirs of Madame de Staël, her subject in that section having to do with Napoleon's displeasure with her.
Thus, sending you the technical details of this amazing fountain in Geneva is a perfectly logical development of thought.
Many years before Madame, John Calvin found refuge in Geneva, and that should make the city a subject of special interest to almost all of my friends. Myself, I confess to be a follower of Martin Luther, if the confession to Christ requires one to be a follower of any mortal man. But to my worldly mind, John Calvin, with his extreme interpretation of the "laws" expressed in the New Testament, has rendered Geneva unfit for human habitation. Yet, the place is not only populated by natives, but the world is flocking there to so many of our revered global institutions that have placed their headquarters there. Even science finds a main seat there, although it is underground and known as the CERN accelerator. I formed this opinion about inhabitability as a young man several decades ago, when I found that city ordinance requires the sidewalks to be rolled up at 9:00 PM, at a time when a young man begins to come alive. My actual exposure to life in Geneva - night or day - ended in the late 1950’s, so it may well be that things have changed to admit more sunlight to form the almost permanent rainbow of this amazing 'jet d'eau'.
I was prompted to access this web page while reading a section of the memoirs of Madame de Staël, her subject in that section having to do with Napoleon's displeasure with her.
Thus, sending you the technical details of this amazing fountain in Geneva is a perfectly logical development of thought.
Many years before Madame, John Calvin found refuge in Geneva, and that should make the city a subject of special interest to almost all of my friends. Myself, I confess to be a follower of Martin Luther, if the confession to Christ requires one to be a follower of any mortal man. But to my worldly mind, John Calvin, with his extreme interpretation of the "laws" expressed in the New Testament, has rendered Geneva unfit for human habitation. Yet, the place is not only populated by natives, but the world is flocking there to so many of our revered global institutions that have placed their headquarters there. Even science finds a main seat there, although it is underground and known as the CERN accelerator. I formed this opinion about inhabitability as a young man several decades ago, when I found that city ordinance requires the sidewalks to be rolled up at 9:00 PM, at a time when a young man begins to come alive. My actual exposure to life in Geneva - night or day - ended in the late 1950’s, so it may well be that things have changed to admit more sunlight to form the almost permanent rainbow of this amazing 'jet d'eau'.
No comments:
Post a Comment