Monday, May 13, 2013

Triticale

There are two interesting publications on the web, covering the subject. One is from Wikipedia and the other from Purdue University. I am sure there are many others. These two, which I picked because they appear right at the beginning of the search results, are so similar in content, they could possibly be produced one from the other. Triticale is a cross of wheat and rye, a hybrid that to my great surprise was stared back in 1875 with the first organized research conducted by the Canadians at the university of Manitoba. The two articles appear to suggest that triticale  simply combines the qualities of wheat and rye, and benefits culture in 'challenged growth regions'. It's main use is a feed grain for cattle even though it is hoped to elevate it to the level of human consumption (?). Otherwise, the analysis of nutritional values does not suggest any benefits other than in small quantitative variation from its two parents. Why then should a product like that delicious Bob's Red Mill 5-grain contain wheat and rye, and also triticale? It can make no other contribution than bulk, probably at a lower cost than what would be attached to the same bulk of its two parent grains. But it is not what nature intended!

I have experimented with making my own 5-grain, getting all components from the Brattleboro Co-op bulk department. There are problems with texture coming from triticale and flax seeds. Both are in the original grain form, while all other components are rolled. To soften them up, I tried sprouting first. Triticale did fine, yielding a pleasant semi-hard texture after two days of sprouting. Flax seed is not recommended: it developed a slimy side product that caused all grains to clump and to stick to any surface it comes in contact with. Washing was ineffective and caused great loss in the tiny seeds clinging to the sieve in which I tried rinsing them. Then I lost more in the paper towel with which I tried to extract some of the water, since I wanted the - otherwise very effective - sprouting to stop. Finally, I mixed the two seeds with the other components of my 'raw bits' and arrived at a rather very tolerable product for the next few days. In that period, all the other grains (oats, barley, wheat and rye) absorbed the remainder of the sprouting moisture from the triticale and flax and the whole mixture assembled to an almost solid, but luckily very brittle clump that had to be treated vigorously with a spoon to break it up and make it conform to the bowl. Else, taste is good!

Not wanting to repeat the sprouting experience, today I used Tanti's old Vitamix (ca. 1954) and smashed the triticale and flax seeds. I did not run the machine until I got fine flour, but the resulting fine gravel gives a rather exciting texture to the mix of the other rolled grains. I think with that approach I am cut loose from the fickle supply line from Bob's Red Mill and am my own independent producer, which allows me to draw the consequences from the beginning of this paper: eliminate the triticale, which is nothing but simply more of two of the other components of the five grain mix.

Wishing you a wonderful day, Isa

No comments:

Post a Comment