It was "such" a day here,: deep hanging clouds and rain, rain, and again
rain. So far, since this started two days ago, we had nearly two inches
and the grass on the other side of the windows looks happy, fresh, and
green. Panic is lurking: if this rain does not stop pretty soon, the
grass is getting out of hand. That means when I finally get to cut it,
it leaves mounds of brown, rotting clumps behind the mower in lieu of
quickly disappearing short clippings.
Yesterday, while I was shopping for the Pac or Boc or whatever Choi I also stopped at Hannaford and got me a salmon filet - wild caught, Alaska. There were these great family sized filets behind the glass and I stood there thinking what I would do with the leftovers, but he fish monger behind the counter offered to cut whatever I liked, so I wound up with a half pound, skin on filet. Today, being locked in, I did big cooking, I made a big pan of stir fried veggies, using one jar of Brenda's blanches beans, on jar of her blanched carrots, both 2012 harvest vintage, a fresh green pepper and a fresh green yellow squash, both imported from the southern flat lands, and half of a Vidalia onion, carrying the label 'Vidalia', so it must come from Georgia, USA. There is so much left over, I'll eat from that batch for the rest of the week. The salmon - I cut the skin off and rubbed it (the filet, not the skin!) with some sesame oil and dusted it with salt and coated it with pepper. In a glass dish, I laid it on a bed of the other half of the onion, sautéed, powdered it with parmesan cheese coated it with sour cream and baked it for five minutes at 450 degrees. A side dish of fresh spinach leaves wit Feta and Catalina completed the 'order'. No wait, there was also a bottle of Las Perdices, 2011 Viognier, Mendoza, Argentinia. A must-try wine if you get a chance. It has just the right amount of acidity to take it away from the sweet, a bit bland white Viogniers that came across my tastebuds in recent months. It is on sale at the Co-op for 9.99 and it is just as good as, but very different from the Gérard Bertrand Viognier from France, which I recommended to you the last time when I was talking about Viognier. That one, they are now selling it for 13 bucks, if they still got any after I took the last bottle from the shelf.
When I say as good as I do not at all mean that the two wines are alike. The French and the Argentinian are in the same direction of taste, or aroma, if you prefer that term or, if you want to get really technical, they have a very similar bouquet, but while the French is a soothing accompaniment to a meal or a conversation, the Argentinian is that charging Dragoon in old time mounted warfare, taking the lead with a yell, swinging his broad sword over his head and riding the enemy down before there is a chance to get up a proper defense. Well, maybe I went a little overboard with this comparison, but it should give you the idea that the French is the accommodating accompaniment and acquiescent supporter, while the Argentinean is the leader.
It is just about 20 minutes after three, but the sky looks like its just before sunset. I better get back to my Las Perdices. They (the last drops in the bottle) are getting warm and I would not think subjecting them to another cooling cycle.
Have a grand afternoon and evening, and a merry Sunday.
Love, Isa
Yesterday, while I was shopping for the Pac or Boc or whatever Choi I also stopped at Hannaford and got me a salmon filet - wild caught, Alaska. There were these great family sized filets behind the glass and I stood there thinking what I would do with the leftovers, but he fish monger behind the counter offered to cut whatever I liked, so I wound up with a half pound, skin on filet. Today, being locked in, I did big cooking, I made a big pan of stir fried veggies, using one jar of Brenda's blanches beans, on jar of her blanched carrots, both 2012 harvest vintage, a fresh green pepper and a fresh green yellow squash, both imported from the southern flat lands, and half of a Vidalia onion, carrying the label 'Vidalia', so it must come from Georgia, USA. There is so much left over, I'll eat from that batch for the rest of the week. The salmon - I cut the skin off and rubbed it (the filet, not the skin!) with some sesame oil and dusted it with salt and coated it with pepper. In a glass dish, I laid it on a bed of the other half of the onion, sautéed, powdered it with parmesan cheese coated it with sour cream and baked it for five minutes at 450 degrees. A side dish of fresh spinach leaves wit Feta and Catalina completed the 'order'. No wait, there was also a bottle of Las Perdices, 2011 Viognier, Mendoza, Argentinia. A must-try wine if you get a chance. It has just the right amount of acidity to take it away from the sweet, a bit bland white Viogniers that came across my tastebuds in recent months. It is on sale at the Co-op for 9.99 and it is just as good as, but very different from the Gérard Bertrand Viognier from France, which I recommended to you the last time when I was talking about Viognier. That one, they are now selling it for 13 bucks, if they still got any after I took the last bottle from the shelf.
When I say as good as I do not at all mean that the two wines are alike. The French and the Argentinian are in the same direction of taste, or aroma, if you prefer that term or, if you want to get really technical, they have a very similar bouquet, but while the French is a soothing accompaniment to a meal or a conversation, the Argentinian is that charging Dragoon in old time mounted warfare, taking the lead with a yell, swinging his broad sword over his head and riding the enemy down before there is a chance to get up a proper defense. Well, maybe I went a little overboard with this comparison, but it should give you the idea that the French is the accommodating accompaniment and acquiescent supporter, while the Argentinean is the leader.
It is just about 20 minutes after three, but the sky looks like its just before sunset. I better get back to my Las Perdices. They (the last drops in the bottle) are getting warm and I would not think subjecting them to another cooling cycle.
Have a grand afternoon and evening, and a merry Sunday.
Love, Isa
No comments:
Post a Comment