Saturday, June 22, 2013

Progress

 Our road is all chewed up. They came with this monstrous machine that works almost like a roto tiller and breaks the roadbed up chews it fine and spits it back out. Fantastic! They used to put some 20 guys to work on this with pick and shovel, now there is one lonely operator and another guy who stands around with his hands in the pockets for no better reason than to adhere to the buddy system. I'm going to apply for such a job. I think I can still handle it. The machine moves at a speed of perhaps one or two miles per hour, so even I would have no problem keeping up with it. Good exercise, too!

So the road was regurgitated by this machine and then a grader came and straightened it up and now it sits for a while. They did it to a road down behind the school and it sat for weeks after grading. They also will have to rework the ditches before they can put down the new blacktop.

Of course the road is now soft and full of ruts from cars that have come through. But we Vermonters are brave drivers and know out way with dirt roads. There are still some that come past here at 50 to 60 mph. The dust is not yet very bad. Also, the prevailing wind takes it more over to Chip and he will know what to do about it. I hope we will have rain regularly.

Just thought you need to know, because it is not long before you come up here.





Here is another view of this wondrous machine, just in case somebody near you has a deeper technical interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment