Monday, June 3, 2013

Carmenère

This link leads you to a wine made of a grape originally from the Bordeaux region in France, where those beautiful, heavy, full aromatic wines are produced that were so much part of festive dinners in my younger years. I came across this wine at the Co-op today. They had a new wine up on the shelf and the given name on the label first made me sneer. Who would call a serious wine 'oops' ? But then I read the label and I was hooked. I would be guilty of wild fabrication if it is not true that Carmenère, the grape I am talking about here, or rather the wine made from this grape, was part of some of those festive meals I mentioned. I do remember the name and the spelling and that there would always be a reverend moment of quiet, or talking in subdued voices, when a bottle of this wine was brought up. And in a restaurant, it would always be carried by the sommelier himself, with the long silver chain over his shoulder to hold the tasting cup. And when he brought that bottle to the table he was always accompanied by two waiters in full dress, as if by special body guards. Add to that low lights, candles on the table, the hush of the other guests until the opening of the bottle and the tasting of the first drops was done and you get the picture of the lore of this wine. The approval after the tasting would release an audible sigh from all those witnessing this.

I bought two bottles of this 'oops' with the above images in front of my eyes, and I fear I might  be very disappointed after such a build-up, but I will give it an honest try. I will buy me a good piece of meet and grill it with special care, and will sit down to judge. There is no rush. after the long rough trip over the Hogback, these bottles first have to rest in the dark cellar for at least two weeks. Care to join me? I wish Pips would share in this adventure.

Should you come across some Carmenère, whether from France, Chile or West Coast or even Australia, get a bottle, try it and let me know what you found. I'd be looking at Total wine, and then in every shop i'd come across. They say that the grape in France was killed by the root louse, but had already been established in Chile. However, the Chileans did not know what they had and sold their wine as Merlot. Then, recently (1994) a viticulturist saw the grape, recognized it and exposed it as different from the Merlot with which it was grown. Oops!

Cheers, Isa
*********************************************************************************
June 6, 2013, at 5:26 PM

Went to Shaws today for grocery shopping and the more I see of that store the more I like it - disregarding their habit of making the best of the tourist seasons. But as I was browsing around, I found pine nuts, which none of the supermarkets east, west, north or south from here within the range of my rovings could produce. Of course, in the meantime, I found them at gold plated price at the Co-op, but the pick at Shaws would have been as good - closer and cheaper by the gas burned on the road to Brattleboro. His product is imported also, so, perhaps it is like garlic: China is the largest producer of that, and that is the reason we see it on the shelves of our stores.


Shaws also offered grass fed beef, ground and packaged in one pound squares. Curiosity tickled me and I bought one. Took it home, halved it and grilled it without trying to give it a traditional form. As it came out of the package it was a 2x4x1-1/2 piece and that.s the way I put it on the grill. A thick steak! My fault that I did not adjust the grill temperature properly. It came out seared on the outside (not burned!) and Steak Tartare on the inside. Delicious. It was a 97/3 lean peace that left me gloating after the half that is still left. Maybe that one I spice up as real Steak Tartare.

Having this meat in preparation, I also stir fried a bit of baby book choy and a helping of Rösti and placed next to it the first bottle of Carmenère about which I sent you an epistle earlier. All promises are kept. The wine is full-bodied, "warm" and full of flavor, with just the right amount of acidity to make it a very super accompaniment for red meat dinners and still give very pleasant company after the table is cleared. That's where I am now: at a cleared table with a last glass of Carmenère. Oh, how I wish for you company.

Love, Isa

No comments:

Post a Comment