Tuesday, August 13, 2013

And because Knorr contains memories . . .

When I was still wet behind the ears, we considered Knorr to be a Swiss company. They made many things our mother used in the kitchen, not the least being the bouillon cube. But there were instant soups that we took along on hiking trips and, mixed with mountain brook water, they were most delicious, even cold, and they had the strength to keep us going on the hike. Lulu and I one summer hiked from Tunis in the Grisons to Pontresina, right across the valley from St. Moritz. We hiked for five days across the mountain ranges and lived on Knorr. Not exclusively, I admit, but there was Knorr in our rucksack for sure, and other than for breakfast and dinner, we never were near a public house. Lulu was something like thirteen, then, and I was around 11. Times have changed.
But why this talk about Knorr? Well, I was at the Market Basket in Keene today and they had a sale on Knorr side dishes, 5 for five dollars, and I got me some, because of the reputation Knorr has for good stuff, and not unhealthy. And because Knorr contains memories . . .

So, for dinner I had Thai curry with grilled chicken tenders. The tenders I had bought separately and marinated in Italian dressing for a couple of days and then frozen, still in the dressing, for three or four weeks. Kaarin sais that enhances the effect of the marinade. It does, I now can confirm.
These tenders were the first failure I produced on that wonderful infrared grill I bragged about before.  
When they were ready to come off, I took the heat off and went to the cellar to get the dinner wine and when I came back up, the curry demanded attention and then the phone rang and next I forgot the chicken on the grill. Not bad, but beginning to be a bit stringy and dried out. My fault, not the grill's. but luckily I had the fire off. Dinner was still delicious and the wine wonderfully matched - a white Bordeaux, Chateau Fonfroide 2011; nice and spicy, a great match with the spicy curry and the by-no-means bland chicken tenders. While I am writing this, I'm still sipping it with pleasure.

So now you want to know what I was doing again in Keene, since I was yesterday? Well, the change in the grave-marker lettering required my personal presence, so I went. Opportunist that I am, I stopped at the Market Basket where they sell stuff we don't even know about across the river in Brattleboro. Among my purchases were a series of items to make BBQ pizza. There were those bags of frozen red and green pepper strips, frozen chopped onions, ready to bake pizza bottoms, and so forth, and I feel quite prepared to face any visitor who might find his way up here. It is so quiet after the visits from my children with their children and dogs that I must at least hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment