Saturday, August 2, 2014

Pretty Well-Fed, Both Body and Soul

Good morning to you all! You caught up with me while I was zipping over Hogback Mountain after having flipped pancakes with the church congregationists for today's fund-raiser. Since 6:00 AM. It was rather successful, I think. Doug will tell us, tomorrow. While the plain pancakes lagged somewhat, the blueberry pancakes went like hot buns - or better, even. We flipped them on two pro-sized griddles and just barely could keep up with the takers. Then at the end, we were commanded to finish all the dough that had already been mixed and after that we had to have breakfast on site. We were proud of what we had served.

For this affair, they bought gallon jugs of VT maple syrup, 49.50 a gallon. Why, that's some pretty good price compared to retail at 25 bucks a quart for the touristers!

Then I went to town because I had to get some Red Rice Yeast, and while I was there I also got some wine from Aldi's, Sirah for 4.99. I just can't resist that. Also got some Chardonnay for the same price, both wines from Argentina. And at the pancake flipp'n I "worked" with a guy who hails from a family that hails out of Sicily. He made a remark about enjoying his wine in the afternoon so I asked, "Did you come from Italy?" Because that's what he looks like. He protested: "from Sicily," so I told him about the Nero d'Avola I like so much and he did not even know about the town of Avola. The Nero d'Avola is said to be the most popular wine in that region. Yet, his dad used to make his own wine in CT where they had settled. Maybe that' steht reason he never introduced his son to the wonders of his inheritance. I told him to come by the house and I'd introduce him to his 'home brew'.

Then on the way home I stopped to get some beer for Chip. I got some Long Trail amber ale and when I drove by the mail box I saw chip standing up there on his deck so I drove up to him and intended to just give him the six pack but he offered to share some and I saw Brenda sitting there also so I somewhat hesitatingly, I hoped, accepted and we sat and I think the three of us just about finished the six pack and we had a nice afternoon.

Lastly (?) I went down to the pond and checked the berries. There is a tremendous crop of blueberries hanging there but they are all still green. There are almost no red raspberries and what I saw is not ripe either and looks kind of sick. I just picked some black berries to mix in with my raw bits with strawberries from the store, just a few to cut the tip of the sweet strawberries and put some new character into my favorite breakfast.

Tomorrow we'll have Communion and after that they want to serve the leftover pancakes at the fellowship hall. We aught to be pretty well-fed, both body and soul, by tomorrow lunch time!

Here, the weather is Vermontish! It was cool enough to put on an undershirt and a long-sleeved winter shirt. Down in the valley it got uncomfortably warm, and by the time I sat on Chip's and Brenda's deck, I spent time mopping my brow. Down by the berries in the shade and the breeze, things were a bit cooler and now I am sitting in my dining area and clouds have moved in, and I am debating if I am really cold enough to close the doors and the windows.

If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment