Thank you, Laurie! I found it and got sidetracked into the memories you revived with your collection of my thoughts, random indeed. But of all those who have access to this blog, you are the only one who has given me a hint of seeing it. I should correct that: Carole Paquette, the school friend of Tiiu's, mentioned it to a visitor to her house, a Swiss, and asked for permission to let him have the link.
But while I reminisced in these past flights of thought, I came across the comment you made on the boccalini story from November last year. I saw that comment then and often thought of it but never came thought together with opportunity to take that picture you asked for. Here it is at last. These were Lulu's boccalini.
They are standing on the window frame over the kitchen window on Townhill. Ours are on the top shelf, center, kitchen cabinet, right hand of the kitchenwindow in Goldsboro. It is possible that many of them are packed away in one or several of the boxes stacked up in the garage. Who can remember? If Mims sent them from Switzerland, after Tiiu and I were with Lulu in Bivio, they were sent to Lynch Station, VA, were packed and hauled to Townhill in VT, went to Groveland, MA and transferred to Goldsboro, NC, at last.
The standard boccalini are the three red and three blue jug-like things, all alike in form and size. In the center of that display is another souvenir of Lulu's not related to the boccalini. On the two ends of the half dozen are two larger boccalini with non-traditional glazing, such as you find mostly in souvenir shops. And, of course, on the right side, that little donkey harnessed to the cart, is a whimsical sugar bowl, which you would find in a local shop on a shelf containing whimsical stuff for tourists and for use as stocking stuffers - if the Italians had such practices. The thing is that in our time, traveling off the beaten tourist paths, we saw farmers and homesteaders leading such rigs, the real live things, along the roads of their neighborhoods in the course of their daily work.
But while I reminisced in these past flights of thought, I came across the comment you made on the boccalini story from November last year. I saw that comment then and often thought of it but never came thought together with opportunity to take that picture you asked for. Here it is at last. These were Lulu's boccalini.
They are standing on the window frame over the kitchen window on Townhill. Ours are on the top shelf, center, kitchen cabinet, right hand of the kitchenwindow in Goldsboro. It is possible that many of them are packed away in one or several of the boxes stacked up in the garage. Who can remember? If Mims sent them from Switzerland, after Tiiu and I were with Lulu in Bivio, they were sent to Lynch Station, VA, were packed and hauled to Townhill in VT, went to Groveland, MA and transferred to Goldsboro, NC, at last.
How delightful! I had to go back and read the original post ("Boccalino" from last November) so that I could remember the details about the boccalini. It seems a strange glass for wine, in my opinion...like taking your libations from a tea cup or coffee mug... which feels a lot like drinking too early in the day! Next time we're together, let's wash and use them, and you can try to convince me that those Italians weren't crazy when they came up with that idea! By the way, your travels sound delightful, and I love reading your reminiscences about them!
ReplyDelete