Dear Elanore,
How fun to get your greetings! They came by mail a few days ago but, so to speak, I could not immediately answer because I kept my eyes on the thermometer and out the window and my fingers were crossed. Like you, we had a winter weather advisory here and, not only that, the front that was supposed to bring snow to Goldsboro and to Virginia Beach was reaching all the way up to Vermont and Chip Raleigh had written me an e-mail saying that they expected a LOAD of snow and were standing ready with shovels and snow blowers and plows and trucks to keep things moving in southern Vermont. Usually, a load of snow up there results in broken limbs and even broken trees and if conditions are 'right' the snow sticks to the roofs of houses and sometimes breaks things. That's what happened to our sugar house. So. My thoughts were attached to my fears and, once again, they ran away from me.
Right now, things are quiet and the air is warm and as soon as I get to push the 'send' button on this note I'll grab me a pillow and a book and a glass of water and celebrate Sunday afternoon in the sunshine of the back yard. It's getting late, already.
Yesterday I went shopping and paid some bills and then I got just an hour or so outside before the evening shadows moved in. It was wonderful, but what a shame to spend most of these glorious days inside. I really should get a bit better setting priorities. What if I were to do the shopping early in the morning and the bill-paying late in the afternoon, after the sun has escaped behind the roof line? Perhaps, as I get a bit older, I might start practicing such thoughts ;-)
On Tuesday, I'll drive over to aunt Kadin. She gave me a job as a 'baby sitter' for Wednesday and Thursday. She and uncle Steve will drive up to Quantico where Steve has to attend a meeting of the US Marine Association. So, in order for Kaarin to be able to go with him, somebody must be at the house to see that Karl gets to sleep and to eat, and goes to school on time and finds the house door open when he comes back and the heat running so the house is warm and he can do his homework without freezing his fingers off. What a responsibility I have been given. Oh, my!
After this laying out in the sun, very soon now, I'll do dinner. There is the choice of stew or a slice of pizza or some cheese with crackers and a spinach salad. All these items are intricately attached to this past weekend with all of you and every mouth full will bring fresh memories and the hope that we will do something fun like that all together very soon again.
With loving thoughts, Opa
How fun to get your greetings! They came by mail a few days ago but, so to speak, I could not immediately answer because I kept my eyes on the thermometer and out the window and my fingers were crossed. Like you, we had a winter weather advisory here and, not only that, the front that was supposed to bring snow to Goldsboro and to Virginia Beach was reaching all the way up to Vermont and Chip Raleigh had written me an e-mail saying that they expected a LOAD of snow and were standing ready with shovels and snow blowers and plows and trucks to keep things moving in southern Vermont. Usually, a load of snow up there results in broken limbs and even broken trees and if conditions are 'right' the snow sticks to the roofs of houses and sometimes breaks things. That's what happened to our sugar house. So. My thoughts were attached to my fears and, once again, they ran away from me.
Right now, things are quiet and the air is warm and as soon as I get to push the 'send' button on this note I'll grab me a pillow and a book and a glass of water and celebrate Sunday afternoon in the sunshine of the back yard. It's getting late, already.
Yesterday I went shopping and paid some bills and then I got just an hour or so outside before the evening shadows moved in. It was wonderful, but what a shame to spend most of these glorious days inside. I really should get a bit better setting priorities. What if I were to do the shopping early in the morning and the bill-paying late in the afternoon, after the sun has escaped behind the roof line? Perhaps, as I get a bit older, I might start practicing such thoughts ;-)
On Tuesday, I'll drive over to aunt Kadin. She gave me a job as a 'baby sitter' for Wednesday and Thursday. She and uncle Steve will drive up to Quantico where Steve has to attend a meeting of the US Marine Association. So, in order for Kaarin to be able to go with him, somebody must be at the house to see that Karl gets to sleep and to eat, and goes to school on time and finds the house door open when he comes back and the heat running so the house is warm and he can do his homework without freezing his fingers off. What a responsibility I have been given. Oh, my!
After this laying out in the sun, very soon now, I'll do dinner. There is the choice of stew or a slice of pizza or some cheese with crackers and a spinach salad. All these items are intricately attached to this past weekend with all of you and every mouth full will bring fresh memories and the hope that we will do something fun like that all together very soon again.
With loving thoughts, Opa
No comments:
Post a Comment