Thursday, January 3, 2013

An Incident

While I'm trying to move back in, can't wait to tell you this story:

So, I drove up my driveway and parked my car and unlocked the door and entered my passcode into the key board at the side of the front door. Dutifully, the alarm system reported "Alarm Off".

I started the household with heat and hot water and Wi-Fi and AT&T Microcell and even the fireplace to keep some of the extreme load off the heat pump. I hear motor noise in the area and thought it was one of the farmers driving around, but when I came back to the car I heard the noise coming from above. I looked up and there was a helicopter making slow circles around our neighborhood. I thought it might be in context with the bypass - some areal survey or something. I grabbed some stuff from the car and went back inside.

Coming out again after a while, the helicopter was still there, circling lower and I saw guns sticking out on the side and noticed the police paint on the little cabin. There was also the sherif's cruiser in front of my car. I walked over to it but there was no-one inside and nobody in sight, so I started walking around the house. At that moment, a big guy in uniform came around the corner of my little office building, concern on his face and the right hand on the grip of is pistol on the side. The helicopter had stopped circling and hovered a little to the side, obviously to give the shooter in the right seat a clear shot down to our driveway.

All this analysis, of course, came later. "What's happening?" I asked the police guy. "Well, we had an alarm here." replied he. "You did?" I responded smartly "Yes", re retorted. "I don't understand, I said, I just came home, opened the door and disarmed the alarm system and it reported all clear. I'm so sorry you had a false call". "Oh, that's OK, what's your name?" I told him and even spelled it for him and his face cleared up and he asked the last question "You live here?" I said "Yes" and he wished me a good day and walked towards his car while I tried to reconstruct what I had come out of the house for. By the time I found solid ground under my feet, the helicopter had gone and the police cruiser was backing out of the driveway and my first thought was that I now could safely continue to rob the house, because my presence here was legit. No ID needed, no nothing, except the above exchange. Cool!

Have a good day, y'all.  Isa

No comments:

Post a Comment