Thursday, October 4, 2012, at 4:42 PM
Looking at the weather up and down the coast, and making a tour of the pantry and the refrigerators and freezers, I decided not to push for an exodus this weekend. Next week, perhaps. There is enough to keep me happy and save some of this good edible stuff from spoiling. I had Chip here for a chat this morning while the rain drops went dancing on the sky lights, and I told him to come looking at what's here after I'm gone, but this scheme has never worked in the past, so I don't expect he'll come raiding the pantry. He did bring a bunch of jars from their own recent canning spree. Those, I'll take home. Tomato sauce, canned carrots, and pickles, and beans, etc.
Iivo had suggested to get some dry ice to protect the frozen stuff. There is a ribeye, and two salmon filets, and stuffed peppers and all kinds of veggies and potatoes etc. But I found no source for dry ice closer than 180 miles from here (north of Burlington, VT) and the cost of gas to there and back would far outweigh the value of the food I could save. Not to talk about the time. 360 miles round trip - why, that's good enough for a two-day jaunt. And not to talk about the ribeye which, after I saw it keeps beckoning to me. I'll habit in the pan this weekend and serve it with Rösti and mixed veggies and a baby spinach salad. And I'll have a 'Rex' Merlot with it.
The idea of regular ice is not a bad one, Iivo. I also have two electric travel coolers. They supposedly get the inside of the cooler 40 to 45 degrees below ambient, so if I get the A/C to help, those coolers can be freezers ;-) But I made up my mind I'm going to brave the inhospitable north until next week, so I get more time for 'getting ready'. I have not done much inside the house during these past months and panic strikes now that we have rainy days and I'm kept inside and the chores stare into my face.
I also found out that Monday will be Columbus Day and expect that some people will have a holiday and come up here to peep at the leaves, or "what's left of them", as Chip said. It's still pretty, though, in some places. And then, NOAA posted a weather warning for Minnesota: early winter storm, with possible accumulation of 6 to 7 inches of snow. This weather is expected to stretch into VT, and we might get some rain/snow mixed up here. I want to see that. It won't last, so there is no danger in it for the locals with a warm home and a full pantry. But I want to be able to brag about it with the locals: I was there before the first snow flake fell . . . Remember that tune?
I'll be home by Christmas . . . Toodelitoo - too.
My love to you all, Isa
********************************************************************************
Thursday, October 4, 2012, at 5:26 PM
Looking at the weather up and down the coast, and making a tour of the pantry and the refrigerators and freezers, I decided not to push for an exodus this weekend. Next week, perhaps. There is enough to keep me happy and save some of this good edible stuff from spoiling. I had Chip here for a chat this morning while the rain drops went dancing on the sky lights, and I told him to come looking at what's here after I'm gone, but this scheme has never worked in the past, so I don't expect he'll come raiding the pantry. He did bring a bunch of jars from their own recent canning spree. Those, I'll take home. Tomato sauce, canned carrots, and pickles, and beans, etc.
Iivo had suggested to get some dry ice to protect the frozen stuff. There is a ribeye, and two salmon filets, and stuffed peppers and all kinds of veggies and potatoes etc. But I found no source for dry ice closer than 180 miles from here (north of Burlington, VT) and the cost of gas to there and back would far outweigh the value of the food I could save. Not to talk about the time. 360 miles round trip - why, that's good enough for a two-day jaunt. And not to talk about the ribeye which, after I saw it keeps beckoning to me. I'll habit in the pan this weekend and serve it with Rösti and mixed veggies and a baby spinach salad. And I'll have a 'Rex' Merlot with it.
The idea of regular ice is not a bad one, Iivo. I also have two electric travel coolers. They supposedly get the inside of the cooler 40 to 45 degrees below ambient, so if I get the A/C to help, those coolers can be freezers ;-) But I made up my mind I'm going to brave the inhospitable north until next week, so I get more time for 'getting ready'. I have not done much inside the house during these past months and panic strikes now that we have rainy days and I'm kept inside and the chores stare into my face.
I also found out that Monday will be Columbus Day and expect that some people will have a holiday and come up here to peep at the leaves, or "what's left of them", as Chip said. It's still pretty, though, in some places. And then, NOAA posted a weather warning for Minnesota: early winter storm, with possible accumulation of 6 to 7 inches of snow. This weather is expected to stretch into VT, and we might get some rain/snow mixed up here. I want to see that. It won't last, so there is no danger in it for the locals with a warm home and a full pantry. But I want to be able to brag about it with the locals: I was there before the first snow flake fell . . . Remember that tune?
I'll be home by Christmas . . . Toodelitoo - too.
My love to you all, Isa
********************************************************************************
Thursday, October 4, 2012, at 5:26 PM
Remember, you can always come to ManaMaja if you want to see
truly beautiful autumn leaves as they drift by my window and flop on the
heads of turkeys and such.
Indeed, Kristjan and a buddy are flying up from Florida tomorrow and will fly back Monday AM. All part of his commercial license stuff. Riina

No comments:
Post a Comment