Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Where Can I Find Maggi?

Laurie, Iivo, and Kaarin had this text exchange with Opa after his having read an article in the Swiss Review entitled "How Julius Maggi Took Kitchens by Storm."

Opa: Where can I find Maggi? It’s the basis of my life! Most foods without it are - just - stomach stuffers! 😂

Laurie: It’s on its way from Amazon! Should be there Monday…

Kaarin: I had no idea he loved this seasoning so much! 😂

Opa: Aus den Augen, aus dem Sinn. (“You don’t see it, you don’t want it.”) But many thanks! It does bring a welcome light in my new kitchen ! 

A couple of days later:

Opa: Hi Laurie! Your package has arrived Monday the 13th of June. 😁 Many thanks for this surprise. Maggi is such a great part of “that old time cooking” that I am tempted to give it idol status with its own marble pedestal. But then, what can it do there? I am looking forward to setting my dinner table with the meals supplied out of my new kitchen and sprinkling my Maggi all over them. Thank you! 

Disclaimer: all mention of Maggi may not be construed as references to my favorite pup nor my favorite great-granddaughter, Maggie! 🤣

Laurie: Glad it arrived! I’ve never had any. Interested to see what it tastes like. Do you cook with it or just add it as an addition at the table? Does it taste similar to anything I might be familiar with? 

Opa: Some people are saying you could easily substitute soy sauce for it. But it’s impossible! I can’t compare it. 

It has all the forbidden (good) things in it! Sugar, wheat , gluten …

The first three ingredients listed are water, ionized salt, wheat gluten. 

I’ll try to have it with me next time we have one of your delicious bean meals together. Unless you forbid entry in your house. 😅 You use it as added spice after cooking, much like the salt and pepper shakers on your table, though sometimes you may sprinkle it in your pots on the stove. 


When queried about the pronunciation, Opa indicated: I pronounce it with an “open a”, like “bagatelle” but with a “closed g”, not like gin! Simple, phonetic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment