Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Searching for the way

Searching for the way

The children’s story today, presented by Doug, was about ‘finding our way'. The ancients used the stars, later came the compass, much later the map, now the GPS. I thought I would add the chronometer and the sextant, but that would go into almost forgotten technology, plus these instruments were used to determine one’s location, rather than finding the way. They are also important, because, even when traveling by a very good map, it is necessary from time to time to stop and determine if one is on the right track. But Doug skipped that part and made an elegant connection to the thought that the Christian’s road map is the bible. Aye!

I had time for these and most of the following thoughts because today I came to church unaided by my usual paraphernalia to hear and in consequence I could only catch a word from Doug here and there. Had he not held up a star, cut out of a sheet of paper, or had he not spread a road map in front of us, or waved a GPS in the air, I would hardly have known what he was talking about. But so it was written that, today, I would get prompts only, and time to let my own thoughts make the connection between the way-markers to Doug’s sermon projected on the screen.

To quote the leading thought: 
7:13 Enter ye in at the straight gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.
7:14 Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

While Doug continued to develop his thoughts, I linked back to the analogy of road-map versus Bible, of the GPS vs the Word. We are quite used to the maps we have in the car no longer being up-to-date with the road-net as it is now. My GPS gets a revised version of its map twice each year. Right now, this instrument is waiting for me to download the fall 2015 version. That’s good, because so many new roads are built to facilitate the flow of traffic between the cities and, at least sometimes, one would get lost while trying to follow an older version.

Likewise the Bible? Since its inception way back in the beginning and later after the addition of the New Testament to the Old, this roadmap of Christianity has gone through untold revisions and re-interpretations. I have often wished to be able to read the original Word. Snooping in history, I was told that the foundation of our current bible was laid by the Council of Nicaea back in the year 325. Then, Constantine was faced with the problem of unifying an untold number of versions, of creeds and confessions of faith and great was this attempt to bring some unity into the haggling masses of those who held power in the many churches sprung from the one that Christ had built on one rock.So, the way this layman sees it, back then we got our road map and it represented the still relatively young memories of Christ’s presence and work on earth. It was the best to be had! One of the problems that must have occurred even then is that the records detailing the original evidence built into this first bible came in many different languages. Translation is a difficult thing. Some words in some languages contain meaning for which another language has no word. Sentences that express the our present thoughts change meaning over time. The exclamation “That’s not what I meant.” underlines the problem of translating thought into the written, or even the spoken word, and even the fleeting validity of content. And then, over time, not only was the one bible subjected to periodic and unified re-interpretation, or, rather re-wording, the unified thought was scattered into a multitude of bibles, all professing to represent The Word. likewise, the one church was shattered into the many by the dissent between thinking men. The other problem was that the ancient records were so many that it was unrealistic to include them all in one book. Who made the choice of what is relevant, and what is not? And on what basis, under what motivation were the choices made?

Road map revisions are due when new roads are opened to traffic. These may be old roads improved - made wider and straighter and easier to travel. There also may be new roads where there were none. Generally, they would lead into an area previously inaccessible. They may continue through a new development to connect on the other side again with other roads already in existence so that you need not to turn back to return to the place where you came from. They may also lead around features in the landscape that present an obstacle to easy traffic flow. Even one of the hymns of today’s selection refers to that: I follow Jesus - no turning back. So, road are built to make travel easier, faster and less dangerous.

Is that the same principle of bible revisions - easier travel, new ways to look at the country, some roads leading off and away from the rough and narrow? In the news these days is the clerk in Kentucky who refused to issue the marriage license to a same sex couple. My Kudos to that clerk. By using her right to free speech, she is now in jail because she does not follow the order of the almighty civil court, who is at odds with many of us on the Christian law regarding homosexuality - and on other social issues as well. A quick research on the web points to Romans 1:26-27 (EMTV) as the  “most important biblical reference for the homosexuality debate”. It would go way beyond my current intentions to follow the thread. Most of us agree that Sodomy is a sin. In the current social trend, the criminal is right and the one a crime has been directed at is wrong. The perpetrator must be protected, the victim is without help. Soon, the crime committed is no longer a crime. So say the worldly courts. But also the church, or I should say some of the churches side with the world view and declare what was sin is no longer sin today. It is expedient to overlook what originally was the forbidden.

Are bible reinterpretations - at least in part - the road map to destruction?

If we allow such reinterpretation, we make ourselves accessories to the sin. Should we take our sons out of Boy Scouts because of the recently introduced admission of homosexuals into the roles of leadership? who would, as a German metaphor wants it, make the buck the gardener? If we refuse to follow the leadership of the church in one instance or more, where does that take the ‘unity' of the church?

While following this line of thoughts, the image on the projection screen changed and proclaimed Romans 12:2:
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Is this my license to rebel? Does Paul not say loud and clear that I should not follow the leadership that leads me against my convictions? If the world changes, may I not stick to what is my belief since my earliest days of awareness?

Again a new way marker on the screen: Galatians 1:4:
Wo gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from the present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father: 1:5): To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Who am I to say more, after I recited “Amen”?

Another change on the screen: 2 Corinthians 4:4:
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Another condemnation of those who turn their back on The Word as it was originally handed to us. But what was it, originally? if I interpret what is presented to us as “the bible”, which I believe has suffered many falsifications, do I not risk to fall into error myself? But one passage of the bible has not yet been changed: the Ten Commandments. Measure your actions by these Commandments, I was told a long time ago and not only once, and you do not need the miles of shelves filled with today’s interpretation in the the lawyers’ libraries. But Lord, it is ever so difficult to remember all of this when under fire!

Just in time, Doug projected a new road marker unto the screen: Psalms: 119:105:
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

What do I need man’s interpretation of your word for, o God? is what the bible says not clear? But I cannot do all this alone - send me someone who can guide me, for thy lamp throws shadows unto the path in front of me and I surely will stumble.

And a new guidepost appears: Matthew 16:24:
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, if any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Gulp! This takes us back a few hundred years to the orders of followers of Christ who gave up all their worldly good and lived off the goodwill of humanity, proclaiming all their food, and clothing and shelter were gifts of God. But this is so contrary to what I believe in: do honest work for your living; if you produce surplus, share with those who are not blessed with your independence. I am sure I can find support of this belief in your word? So what is my cross? If all mankind were to interpret god’s word the way those monks did, who would there be to work up the sustenance of all our lives?

And Doug forges on: Matthew 7:14:
Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

You made my way so broad and so smooth, I do not know what to say to this. I really don’t! I love what you have done for me, even with those few and far between rough white water stretches in the river of my life. If your example of suffering to reach the gates of heaven is what we must follow, what, and i repeat, what is my cross?

And as time draws on, Doug draws in Luke, 13:24:
Strive to enter at the straight gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

The picture that occurs to me is a gate to an old, old fortified town, of which there are many scattered around Europe and Asia. They have thick high stone walls with guard towers and gates, narrow gates, just wide enough to let a farmer’s cart through on market day. But many roads lead to that one gate, some broad and well maintained, others merely wheel tracks through the fields. But all these gates, in the old days, were guarded and access as well as egress to and from the town could be restricted at the will of the leaders of that community.

The Baptist Church in Wilmington, where Doug also is pastor, there is a member of the congregation who records (sometimes or always?) the sermon. There is a chance that this will be done today. If so, Providence has loaded my plate with all the benefits: the stimulus from Doug’s, sermon in Jacksonville, the time to react to this stimulus, since I was busy looking only, but not hearing, and the recording of the actual sermon which would allow me to listen, after all. I won’t be surprised if there are few if any touching points.

No comments:

Post a Comment