The latest from the Townhill bakery: ten-grain bread with sunflower and flax seeds. Took a little bit of kneading to get the shape, though. Crusty and yummy!
Although "a prudent cooks never leaves his kitchen," if you can't come join me for this one, I'll try another one 'down there,' regardless of what prudent cooks say!
I had no recipe to go by. This is my own concoction:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup sunflower seed
1/4 cup flax seed
1/2 cup 10-grain cereal (Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 pack rapid-rise yeast
2 to 2 1/2 cups water
Mix until dough pulls away from bowl. Cover with a towel and let it rise 8-10 hours.
Refrigerate covered (bowls with lid). This makes enough dough from two 1-lb loaves.
To form the loaf, take half of the dough, flatten out on floured work surface, fold in half. Repeat four or five times, then form your dough and let proof for two hours.
Preheat oven with stone to 475 degrees.
Powder stone with corn meal and place loaf. Bake for 35 minutes, take out and let cool completely before slicing.
I have a Pampered Chef stone with dome cover here. I supposed it will also work out well on a pizza stone. The Pampered Chef dome probably retains at least part of the moisture and creates a fine crust. Without that dome, I suspect I would put a pan with water into the stove so the atmosphere in there is saturated with steam before I'd place the dough in.
I added the light kneading after trying without but the loaf did not hold its shape--flattened out a bit too much even though I proofed the wet dough in a basket. The dough in the picture was done with just two cycles of flattening and folding.
Now you have the whole secret. Enjoy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next iteration:Doubled the seeds.
Did a little more kneading.
Also did a quick boil on the flax to soften those seeds up a bit.
The loaf held its form nicely. Weighs 1 pound 11 oz.
Next iteration: add a few nuts?

No comments:
Post a Comment