Tuesday, June 3, 2014

I Was Introduced To Sleeping Hammocks the Hard Way

Enos, so I had to learn, is a brand of hammock used by outdoorsmen and -boys. I was introduced to sleeping hammocks the hard way: if you hung them up and tried to get into them from the top, as into a place where you intend to sleep, you most likely overestimated your jump, going up one side and rolling off on the other. Sometimes that hurt! If you strung your hammock up low enough so you could get into it safely over top, your low end hung so low it almost touched the ground and invariably one of the trees you used as your bed post would grow a root up under you during the night and the next morning you would get out of your hammock bruised black and blue as if someone had beaten you with a clobber over you back, and too stiff to move farther than to the breakfast fire and swearing never ever to do this again. And I never did.

So, Enos designed a hammock which its owner enters from below, standing firmly on the ground! The way the Enos sleepers do it, they get under their hammock, hook the elbows into the curling side seams on the right and the left, lay up one foot into the side curl, then the other on the other side, and then with a twist of their bodies they roll upside up and are safely off the ground so that badgers and bear cubs and - skunks - can safely circulate underneath you and not feel disturbed by your presence.

That's my translation of 'Enos'. It has, against expectation, nothing to do with Greek mythology. To who's coming I have no answer. That, I would guess, time will tell. If there is no sudden international conflict where we would need all hands on deck, I hope everyone is coming. Please, let there be lasting peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment