Sunday, March 2, 2014

"...but needs be"

Dear Laurie,
As time flies I'm sure you have begun to miss your two men. But time will fly on and soon they will return. I am with them in thought and wish I could quietly follow them in the background to see how they cope with the challenges if such foreign environment - not to talk about the joys of hearing the sounds, seeing the sights and tasting the tastes. What privilege to thus burst out of the confines of our regulated lives!

Meanwhile -

In Vanity Fair, I read the following (part of a) sentence:
" - whose bearing was so meek and humble that she could not but needs be a true lady.”

(Excerpt From: William Makepeace Thackeray. “Vanity Fair.” iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=498914944)

While I fully understand the meaning, I do not know about the rules that bring such a turn of words about - but needs be -

It goes along with the question I posed earlier on the same subject. Can you enlighten me?

Relaxing under the conviction that all is well up your way,
Opa

No comments:

Post a Comment