This link comes to you after I tried the technique: it works! It delivered a
pork chop that literally had the juices drip out of the corners of my
mouth. And the other wonderful part is, it puts the end product on the
table in just minutes (after some passive prep time).
Try it, but be careful with the instructions you get through the link. The searing of the chop on my stove resulted in a little-bit charred look. The side that was on the pan during the oven cycle is the one you see.
Of course I wanted to have a juicy chop first of all. But the taste is difficult to praise enough. Intending to smoke them, I rubbed them with the Nahunta rub and let them sit under cover in the fridge for some five or six hours. Passing the time with all sorts of things, I also checked the weather forecast and found it not very inviting to sit out there by the smoker for a long time, so I changed course and came up with this promising link. I brined the whole packet of rubbed chops (3 of them, 1-1/4 inches thick, average weight just about 1/2 lbs, bone in) in a concoction of 2 cups apple cider and 2 cups water with a hand full of mashed and chopped garlic cloves. They sat in that brine overnight in the fridge. I took them out this morning and patted them dry and put them back in the fridge as an experiment: I wanted to see if there was enough sweet in that brine to give me a pellicle as I had gotten it with the salmon, yesterday. It did not. So, I followed instructions: rubbed my chosen chop with olive oil and sprinkled fresh ground pepper and salt on both sides, patted each side lovingly before turning and then went into the cooking procedure as described.
The Kraut came out of the can and needs no further comment. I zapped it in the microwave and it was hot and yummy in just two minutes. The slice of pineapple came form the earlier plan to smoke the chops. It is amazing how this fruit pairs with pork!
Recalling the creation of my dinner in this way made me hungry again. I think I go and fix me another one.
PS I put two chicken thighs in the same brine. Tomorrow is supposed to be a friendlier day and perhaps I get back out to the smoker with them . . .
Try it, but be careful with the instructions you get through the link. The searing of the chop on my stove resulted in a little-bit charred look. The side that was on the pan during the oven cycle is the one you see.
The oven cycle itself, which should take '6 to 10 minutes' is
questionable. Luckily, I had my digital thermometer in the chop and
saved it from certain cremation just in time: 143 degrees after just a
little after four minutes. How much more juicy and tender would it have
been if I had been there just one minute earlier?
Of course I wanted to have a juicy chop first of all. But the taste is difficult to praise enough. Intending to smoke them, I rubbed them with the Nahunta rub and let them sit under cover in the fridge for some five or six hours. Passing the time with all sorts of things, I also checked the weather forecast and found it not very inviting to sit out there by the smoker for a long time, so I changed course and came up with this promising link. I brined the whole packet of rubbed chops (3 of them, 1-1/4 inches thick, average weight just about 1/2 lbs, bone in) in a concoction of 2 cups apple cider and 2 cups water with a hand full of mashed and chopped garlic cloves. They sat in that brine overnight in the fridge. I took them out this morning and patted them dry and put them back in the fridge as an experiment: I wanted to see if there was enough sweet in that brine to give me a pellicle as I had gotten it with the salmon, yesterday. It did not. So, I followed instructions: rubbed my chosen chop with olive oil and sprinkled fresh ground pepper and salt on both sides, patted each side lovingly before turning and then went into the cooking procedure as described.
The Kraut came out of the can and needs no further comment. I zapped it in the microwave and it was hot and yummy in just two minutes. The slice of pineapple came form the earlier plan to smoke the chops. It is amazing how this fruit pairs with pork!
Recalling the creation of my dinner in this way made me hungry again. I think I go and fix me another one.
PS I put two chicken thighs in the same brine. Tomorrow is supposed to be a friendlier day and perhaps I get back out to the smoker with them . . .

What was in the mug?
ReplyDelete