Thursday, September 5, 2013

Evening


The sun is setting. The sky is a beautiful azure blue, tinting to yellow and pink at the eastern horizon. Clouds are drifting slowly, sharply defined in white and black and all tones between by the sun, which is from our view already below the horizon. The cows are out on the pasture. Jason has opened another strip of unmowed grass and they are all crowding the new fence line. Slowly, this line is moved up the hill and soon will reach the fixed fence line up by our house. All is still. Once it is dark, the air outside wil vibrate with the calls of the croakers in the pond.
The 'Chipsters' have just left. We had Market Basket Pasta Salad mixed with hot Italian sausage, and fresh spinach with Catalina Dressing, GrĂ¼ner Veltliner and Paisano, and lively talk and a good time.
Tomorrow, to my great surprise, the 'Dougs' will come for another evening of BBQ pizza - stuff heaped on factory made pies by Mama Mary. They are not bad at all. On the fire, they turn nice and crispy by the time the cheese on top starts bubbling.
After that, I think I should plan to get Winnie and Poo over here. Then Tiido and Anni, the super liberals. Gotta keep the talk away from social policies and politics! By that time, my social pool will be exhausted and I will probably start a fresh round. The DePalos will lead. With Italian and Allemanic genes, liveliness is assured.
I closed all windows. It is getting seriously chilly outside. The forecast calls for 32 degrees as the low for the coming night. In the house, the temp barely reaches the upper sixties. One does get hardened up here! How am going to take the balmy weather of the NC winter?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, such a beautiful description of a beautiful place! I can see it in my mind's eye as I read your words. Wish I were sharing a grilled pizza and glass of wine with you in the cool, crisp mountain air!

    ReplyDelete