December 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM
There is an ongoing controversy about this theory that our life cycles are subject to mathematical regularity, or that such general (as opposed to individual) cycles really exist. The kindest critics describe this as a pseudo science.
I believe there is some heavy evidence that the theory has much truth going for it and that it should not offhandedly be rejected.
In 1953, Mims (your grandmother, Kaarin and Iivo) was diagnosed with a condition that made surgery necessary. Her surgeon was an adherent of this theory and I devised Mims to consider it. After she and Pips, my dad, had done all research possible at that time in this field, they decided to listen to council and the date for surgery was set for late summer 1954. The scheduled procedure usually - even today - is accompanied by heavy blood loss. Back then, the need for many pints of blood transfusion was expected, and death was not uncommon. The date of the surgical interference came and, I admit, all of us were on our knees, which may have had some influence on the outcome, but the fact was that not only did Mims come out of this ordeal alive, nay, there had been no need for any blood transfusion, she was spry and chipper when she came out of anesthesia, and left the hospital after five days, with three weeks of hospitalization in such cases not uncommon in those days.
The date of the surgery had been set on the basis of her biorhythm and came so late after deciding to go ahead because the chosen date gave Mims maximum advantage, according to her biorhythm.
All of us, as a result, established our biorhythms, but we did not allow our lives be controlled by it. Rather, when we 'felt down', we would check the calendar and more often than not find that, biorhythmically speaking, we were at a disadvantage. We followed the doctor's and consultant's advise then "Do not resign yourself. Make an extra effort to overcome the disadvantage".
In 1954, in spring, I was faced with the 'Abitur', the final test required of secondary school students for admission to college education. Normally, this test takes place in the public school student's school and is administered by the school's teachers, so there is a definite 'home field' advantage. I had spent my last two years in a private school and had to face a national team of examiners, none of whom Knew me, and in a physical environment that was totally unknown to me.
The day of the exam came and I was in bed with a high fever resulting from an attack of the flue and the family doctor had advised me to stay in bed and not budge for at least three days.
Well, you probably guess the outcome of this: the doctor left, my parents had to go to town, I tossed for a while in bed and decided I better get on with it, or loose a full year because of this flue. So I got dressed and went to the place of examinations and, yes, after submitting to the exhausting process for three days, I not only came home with the fever broken, but in good spirits and a week later received a "passed" from the examining authorities.
After the experience at Mims' surgery, we went back over my calendar for the days of this examination and found that my biorhythm was in a very favorable situation at the time.
This was then followed by observation followed by observation and in the majority of cases, the validity of the theory was supported.
When personal computers became available, and I learned Basic programming, I built me a little calculator that graphs out the biorhythm and lets me see what is going on. I don't use it very often, knowing too well that feeling bad over feeling down does not help matters at all. But these last few days were a bit strange and the thought occurred to me to check back to my program once more. What was strange? Well, I fell in with a couple of horse traders that posed as modern day car salesmen and I agreed to a deal that I possibly would have rejected at another time. Then, the following days were wrought with little stuff such as dropping things that weren't designed for dropping at all, stumbling over carpet edges that I knew were there, not sleeping, not eating well, in short it was such a contrary time that makes one let go with long and gruesome complaints, uttered at highly elevated voice levels if nobody is around to hear it and I finally came to that biorhythm check I just mentioned. Yes, you guessed: I was in one of those doldrums that sometimes occur with all lines crossing the base line T or about at the same time. When that happens, a general 'down' can be felt and it lasts from about two days before the first crossing to about two days after the last crossing.
Look the subject up on the web. There are some good sites that give you a quick reading and better understanding. But don't suspect me of being a subordinate of all of this. It must never be a controlling factor in one's life to the point where one attempts to break the bank on good days and stays in bed with the blanket pulled over one's head on bad ones and blames biorhythm for all things that go well or go bad. No, give the chances of life and, perhaps, providence it's proper places and be ready for battle, knowing that you got an advantage or must draw from your last resources.
Happy fighting!
Opa
Please, if I said something that made your ears perk up and you want to know more, either go to the web and/or talk to me. Since I got the Apple into my life, I'm not sure I can transfer that Microsoft program to you, if you want it, but we might try.
********************************************************************************
Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM
There is an ongoing controversy about this theory that our life cycles are subject to mathematical regularity, or that such general (as opposed to individual) cycles really exist. The kindest critics describe this as a pseudo science.
I believe there is some heavy evidence that the theory has much truth going for it and that it should not offhandedly be rejected.
In 1953, Mims (your grandmother, Kaarin and Iivo) was diagnosed with a condition that made surgery necessary. Her surgeon was an adherent of this theory and I devised Mims to consider it. After she and Pips, my dad, had done all research possible at that time in this field, they decided to listen to council and the date for surgery was set for late summer 1954. The scheduled procedure usually - even today - is accompanied by heavy blood loss. Back then, the need for many pints of blood transfusion was expected, and death was not uncommon. The date of the surgical interference came and, I admit, all of us were on our knees, which may have had some influence on the outcome, but the fact was that not only did Mims come out of this ordeal alive, nay, there had been no need for any blood transfusion, she was spry and chipper when she came out of anesthesia, and left the hospital after five days, with three weeks of hospitalization in such cases not uncommon in those days.
The date of the surgery had been set on the basis of her biorhythm and came so late after deciding to go ahead because the chosen date gave Mims maximum advantage, according to her biorhythm.
All of us, as a result, established our biorhythms, but we did not allow our lives be controlled by it. Rather, when we 'felt down', we would check the calendar and more often than not find that, biorhythmically speaking, we were at a disadvantage. We followed the doctor's and consultant's advise then "Do not resign yourself. Make an extra effort to overcome the disadvantage".
In 1954, in spring, I was faced with the 'Abitur', the final test required of secondary school students for admission to college education. Normally, this test takes place in the public school student's school and is administered by the school's teachers, so there is a definite 'home field' advantage. I had spent my last two years in a private school and had to face a national team of examiners, none of whom Knew me, and in a physical environment that was totally unknown to me.
The day of the exam came and I was in bed with a high fever resulting from an attack of the flue and the family doctor had advised me to stay in bed and not budge for at least three days.
Well, you probably guess the outcome of this: the doctor left, my parents had to go to town, I tossed for a while in bed and decided I better get on with it, or loose a full year because of this flue. So I got dressed and went to the place of examinations and, yes, after submitting to the exhausting process for three days, I not only came home with the fever broken, but in good spirits and a week later received a "passed" from the examining authorities.
After the experience at Mims' surgery, we went back over my calendar for the days of this examination and found that my biorhythm was in a very favorable situation at the time.
This was then followed by observation followed by observation and in the majority of cases, the validity of the theory was supported.
When personal computers became available, and I learned Basic programming, I built me a little calculator that graphs out the biorhythm and lets me see what is going on. I don't use it very often, knowing too well that feeling bad over feeling down does not help matters at all. But these last few days were a bit strange and the thought occurred to me to check back to my program once more. What was strange? Well, I fell in with a couple of horse traders that posed as modern day car salesmen and I agreed to a deal that I possibly would have rejected at another time. Then, the following days were wrought with little stuff such as dropping things that weren't designed for dropping at all, stumbling over carpet edges that I knew were there, not sleeping, not eating well, in short it was such a contrary time that makes one let go with long and gruesome complaints, uttered at highly elevated voice levels if nobody is around to hear it and I finally came to that biorhythm check I just mentioned. Yes, you guessed: I was in one of those doldrums that sometimes occur with all lines crossing the base line T or about at the same time. When that happens, a general 'down' can be felt and it lasts from about two days before the first crossing to about two days after the last crossing.
Look the subject up on the web. There are some good sites that give you a quick reading and better understanding. But don't suspect me of being a subordinate of all of this. It must never be a controlling factor in one's life to the point where one attempts to break the bank on good days and stays in bed with the blanket pulled over one's head on bad ones and blames biorhythm for all things that go well or go bad. No, give the chances of life and, perhaps, providence it's proper places and be ready for battle, knowing that you got an advantage or must draw from your last resources.
Happy fighting!
Opa
Please, if I said something that made your ears perk up and you want to know more, either go to the web and/or talk to me. Since I got the Apple into my life, I'm not sure I can transfer that Microsoft program to you, if you want it, but we might try.
********************************************************************************
Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Hmmmm. Interesting. Turns out, "There's an app for that!"... 32
free choices for the iPhone alone, if you don't count the fancy ones
designed especially for iPad or the plethora more if you're willing to
pay.
My initial thoughts include remembrance of
the biblical admonition, "As a man thinketh, so he is," and so I think
it could be dangerous to check and know a biorhythmic forecast for one's
day going into it. Kind of the self-fulfilling prophecy idea...
I
also remember Abe Lincoln's famous quotation, "I think most people are
about as happy as they make up their minds to be." [I also know that,
despite this (probably pretty accurate) belief, he struggled with
consistently glum moods.]
I also remember Rob
Weasley's stellar performance in the Quidditch match in some installment
of the seven Harry Potter books-- all (and most would say only) because
he thought he had consumed felix felicis, a potion guaranteeing success
in all your endeavors. Never mind that he hadn't; he thought that he had.
Of
course, several other realities also come quickly to mind: The reality
of hormone fluctuations (and resultant mood changes) in the monthly
menstrual cycle... The mood and energy swings (both elevations and
drops) as well as insulin spikes and crashes associated with diet and
particularly sugar consumption... Cortisol and adrenalin levels
associated with stress and stress-management... Endorphins, dopamine,
and other stress-relieving hormones released with exercise... Serotonin
and melatonin levels, affected by sleep and sunshine and a host of other
things beyond diet... And lastly--though certainly only last on the
list, not in practice--the scientifically documented effect of prayer on
mood, feelings, performance, and outcomes...
I
think we're probably safest leaving consultation of the biorhythm chart
where I long ago relegated the daily horoscope... "No, thank you."
Just my initial thoughts upon reading this fascinating note this morning.
So, happy Sunday, no matter what your chart says for today! ;)
L.
No comments:
Post a Comment